Group Competition Rules
- Teams consisting of three or more students can participate in the group competition.
- The team will be given a set of 5 problems to solve in 60 minutes.
- The team's result is decided by the sum total of the points obtained for all 5 problems. Up to 20 points can be obtained for each problem. The team can gain extra points by handing in their solutions to all 5 problems before the end of the allotted 60 minutes, and will lose points for time taken beyond the 60 minutes, as follows:
- If, at the moment the team's solutions are handed in, n full minutes are left before the allotted time, then the sum total of the points obtained by the team for their solutions will be multiplied by a factor
k = 1 + n/100,
thus the team gets an extra 1% of their total result for every minute saved.
- If the team hands in their solutions n full minutes after the allotted 60 minutes have passed, the sum total of the points obtained by the team of the team will be multiplied by the factor
k = 1 – n/100,
thus the team will lose 1% of their result for every minute used beyond the allotted time.
- The team with the most points after adjustement for time wins.
- Every student of the winning team will be given a prize and gold medal of the group competition.
The rules can also be downloaded: Group competition rules.pdf